Wednesday, June 22, 2011

September 2010: El Mes de las Fiestas

September is a month of celebration here in Honduras.  It all begins with Día del Niño, or Children's Day, which is celebrated September 10. It was a special day at school.


The children got all dressed up.  Check out my little fashionistas...


We played games all day.  This year we had 2 piñatas in first grade!


Which ended with my wild boys ripping into the piñatas and yelling, "La voy a matar con un cuchillo!" Roughly translated:  "I'm going to kill it with a knife!"  Oh boy!  I had my hands full this year :)



We ended the day with BUBBLES!  I found these great bubble wands in the party favor section at Walmart a few years back.  The kids just love the different shapes.  They are entertained for hours...

And if that weren't exciting enough, five days later we celebrated Dia de la Independencia, or Independence Day here in Honduras.  Every September 15, our school puts on a parade and we march through the streets of Gracias.  This year the new Minerva Marching Band made their debut...
My little cheerleaders stole the show...


And students of every age marched to celebrate their patriotism...







In honor of Independence Day, we got a couple of days off school.  Dad and Annette came to visit and we took them to see the Copan Ruinas.  We enjoyed spending a couple of days exploring the Mayan ruins.



And of course a trip to Copan would not be complete without a visit to the bird sanctuary,
Macaw Mountain.


Or two-for-one Happy Hour at the Twisted Tanya...



 It's hard to believe that in a few short months, crazy September will be here and I'll be doing this all over again.  I guess that's what happens when you don't update your blog in a year!  Thanks for walking down memory land with me.  Tomorrow...October!

No comments:

Post a Comment