Friday, August 26, 2011

Goodbye, D-dad!


My D-dad went to be with Jesus last night.  He wore many labels.  Dad, stepfather, grandfather and, most recently, became a great grandfather to Dylan Mark.  My Uncle Sheffie put it perfectly when he said, "The passing of a great man tonight. Dick Saxe was 88 years old. A pillar of Midland society, a committed family man, loving husband, a leader at his church, one of the most friendly men you could ever meet, and a strong follower of Christ."  I couldn't have described him any more clearly.  He greeted everyone with a, "Ho, ho, ho!"  He dutifuly served our country in World War II and Korea.  His office was pasted in pictures of his Midland hero, George W. Bush.  He will be greatly missed by those who loved him.  I got one last hug 2 years ago on the day I left for Honduras.  Sure wish I could have one more of those.

I would give anything to be able to hop in the car and be near my family, but unfortunatly this is one of the few downsides to living abroad.  Even by plane, the treck to the airport San Pedro is a 2 day ordeal by bus.  Although I wouldn't trade what I'm doing here in Honduras, times like these sure make it tough to be far away.  Luckily, modern technologies like Skype make the distance feel a little smaller.  We love you D-dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment