Saturday, March 17, 2012

The ABC's of Honduras: G is for...

 Gracias
The place I have called home for the past three years.  Located at the base of Mt. Celaque (the tallest mountain in Honduras), Gracias is a quiet mid-sized pueblo in the department of Lempira.  Life in Gracias can be interesting.  We often don't have running water or electricity.  You'll probably look out your window to see a goat or other farm animal staring back at you.  Mastering the art of drying laundry during rainy season can be tricky.  But, I have enjoyed the breathtaking views and natural resources that Gracias has to offer.  I can take a hike in my own backyard or stroll over to take a dip in the natural hot springs during the evening.  Most of all, I have enjoyed getting to know the people of Gracias.  They have welcomed me with open arms and extended a helping hand on more than one occasion.  I will forever hold Gracias and the friendships I have made here close to my heart.





1 comment:

  1. Hey Julie,

    Forgive me for the random posting (saw your blog via Google images), but I'm considering living in Gracias for a couple of months. How horrible are the electricity issues? I work online, and so it is very important for me to be able to access the Internet and have electricity at all times... a shame, since Gracias sounds really cool.

    If you are able to, by the way, I'd really like it if you could write me back at altermoderned@gmail.com. Would appreciate it so much!!

    Kiran

    ReplyDelete