Monday, July 11, 2011

Life Lately

My quiet, boring summer took a 180 degree turn this week.  Things got busy really fast.  I've been working a little from home on some things for the school.  For those of you who have worked at Minerva, you will understand what a big deal it is that I GOT THE KEYS TO THE SCHOOL!!!  In fact, I have the only key to the library in my possession.  Well, I went up to the school last week to get some  things from the library that I needed for the unit maps I am writing.  I ALWAYS leave the key in the lock so that I don't misplace it.  Well, guess who forgot to leave the keys in the lock?  And guess who locked the keys to the library, school and HER HOUSE in the library?  And guess who was locked in the school?  Luckily, I managed to grab my phone and I called the principal (who literally lives next door).  She sent her grandson over with a screwdriver and we broke in and rescued the keys.  I am very thankful that it wasn't a bigger issue. 

The next day, I was working on my computer, and I hear a knock on my door.  This was very strange because I don't get many unannounced visitors.  One of my co-workers teaches classes in the university and had become ill.  She asked if I could cover 3 beginning English classes for her that weekend.  I was nervous:  a) because the first class started in 30 minutes and I had never seen the material before,  b) because this was my first time teaching adults, and c) I had never taught 4 HOUR class before.  I am happy to say that I survived and that the director has even asked if I want to teach more English classes.  Teaching adults is much different than teaching kids.  They whined A LOT!  I kept having to tell them that my 1st graders could do that work!  They are also a lot more nervous to speak than my 1st graders.  Children are such risk-takers.  They aren't afraid to make mistakes.  I think bilingual education at a young age is such an incredible opportunity.  But it was nice to have students who sit quietly.  I didn't have to give them something to do while I was writing on the board or after they finished their quiz.  It was amazing.  They just sit!

I came home from class Sunday to to find that the electricity had gone out.  This isn't out of the ordinary.  During the heat of the summer, we lose power frequently to conserve energy.  Black-outs are pretty routine here.  It was a little frustrating because my computer was completely without battery.  I couldn't work, I couldn't watch movies, so I just worked on some crafting for my classroom.  8 1/2 hours later the power finally decided to come back on.  By that time I was working by candlelight.  I hope we don't have any more days like that in the near future.  I can handle a few hours here and there, but yesterday was a bit excessive.  I've learned my lesson and will make sure that my battery is always fully charged from now on. 

Thursday I'm headed to San Pedro to pick up a friend, Deborah, who is coming to visit me!  She'll be here for all of the Dia de Lempira festivities so I should have a lot to post this week.  It's going to be a lot of cultural celebration and I am looking forward to experiencing it for the first time.  I've enjoyed getting to Skype with some of you lately.  If you have Skype add me:  juleschristinepace.  I would love to catch up with everyone.  Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment