Friday, July 15, 2011

We're not chickens!

I love to people watch.  I do it in restraunts.  I do it in airports.  And my favorite new spot to people watch in Honduras is on the chicken bus.  Take for example, Mr. Texas.  Decked from head to toe in everything Texas.  An A&M hat, a "Don't Mess With Texas" tote bag, and a Texas Rangers t-shirt.  Or the lady with the ingenious solution to chicken bus hair.  She invented some sort of Garfield pillow case hat that covers your hair.  I think it will make millions. 

Every once in a while, you'll actually go beyond watching, and get to meet one of these characters.  I was on the first leg of my 3 bus trip to San Pedro.  I am dozing off when I feel someone sit down on my backpack.  I look up to find a young man of about 18 squeezing into the seat next to me.  He has his English homework and is waving it in my face asking for help.  Can't you see I'm on vacation?

In Santa Rosa, I switched to the bus I deemed "The Death Trap."  All was going well and suddenly you could feel the driver floor the pedal.  We were barrelling around the curves and literally being tossed around like ping pong balls.  Not wanting to be the paranoid Gringa, I tried to keep my cool as I held a death grip onto the seat.  All of the sudden I hear a yell, "We're not chickens!  Sir, slow down or we're going to get off of this bus!" (paraphrased from Spanish).  This little lady started an all-out revolt against the bus driver and soon the majority of the bus was chanting for the driver to slow down.  It was outrageous!

About 5 minutes later we squealed into La Entrada.  Luckily, the bus had emptied out, so the bus driver sent us all to a new bus to continue on towards San Pedro.  I am happy to report we arrived in one piece.  I killed time waiting to pick up Deborah from her 1 a.m. flight  by going to see "Arthur" at the cine.  It was cute and so nice to be in the "big city" again.  Fast forward 2 chicken buses and 2 taxi rides and we're back in Gracias.  I'm looking forward to showing Deborah all of the sites and doing a little traveling together.  This weekend the big celebrations kick off for Dia de Lempira.  I'll keep you posted on our adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment