Monday, July 4, 2011

May-June 2011: El Fin del Año Escolar

May and June were a blur of end of school activities and exams, so I figured I would just wrap up with one post.  Mid- May we had the annual Minerva Sports Day planned by the fabulous Miss Karen.  The kids came all prepared for a day of fun in the sun.  Don't they look adorable in their little hats?


Except we need to get this guy a TCU hat ASAP!  Doesn't he know better than to show up to my class wearing an OU hat?

  
In the morning we played buddy games with the older students. 

Sponge Relay...


Piggyback Races...


And Potato Sack Races....


Later we walked over to Villa de Ada for some tournaments and field games.  My kids LOVED frisbee golf!  Unfortunately, I didn't get any more pictures.  Thinking ahead, I brought my charger to school to charge in the morning.  Of course it would be a day we were without electricity.  Typical.  I should know better by now.  Anyway, the kids had a great time.  Of course my wild boys created their own games, too.  Have you ever played throw the dead frog around the field?  It's a blast! 

The last day before exams we had a big celebration at school.  No classes- all fun, all day! In First Grade we held our 2nd annual Pajama Day.  I think this picture perfectly sums up our school year...


We wrote notes to our friends...


And celebrated a birthday...


After all of the excitement, we settled down with blankets and pillows to watch a movie...

 
The next week was 4th partial exams.  We finished the school year with an End-of-Year program and Art Show at Villa de Ada.  Here is the First Grade art display...


Each grade prepared a presentation for the parents.  Look how adorable Miss Petra's little Kinder barnyard was singing "Old McDonald"...


First grade recited a poem titled "A,B,C- Ya Later First Grade."  Each student represented a different letter of the alphabet and talked about things we've learned this year...


One of my favorite acts was the older students performing a traditonal dance...


It was a great end to the school year.

I want to wish each of you a very Happy 4th of July today!  I have done a little celebrating here in Honduras.  The Peace Corps volunteers in town hosted a BBQ on Saturday and invited all of the volunteers who are stationed in Honduras.  I was asked to make good, old American apple pie.  My original plan was to make 40 mini pies.  That plan was soon scrapped when I realized that one recipe of dough required 2 sticks of butter.  This wouldn't be an issue in the homeland.  But here, yellow butter is hard to come by.  In fact, there was only one box in town this week and I bought it!  Needless to say, the mini apple pies became a giant apple crumble.  It was devoured within 5 minutes of arriving to the party, so I would say it turned out to be a success. 

 Thank you to all of the men and women who defend our country and protect our freedom, including my "baby" brother, Drew (pictured here with his beautiful wife, Meredith, on their wedding day)...


Living here, I have come to appreciate how lucky and proud I am to be an American.  God bless the U.S.A!




1 comment:

  1. I found a pie dough recipe today in mom's weight watcher cook book that only uses 2 tablespoons of butter! I will send it to you asap.

    ReplyDelete