Monday, September 5, 2011

A Peek at Our First Week

We did it!  I survived the first week with my 25 little darlings.


Our week started with Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom! (Welcome to Our Room)  I have about 8 students who are new to the school and completely new to learning English, so this was a great way to begin.  Here's our door decor for this year.  The students each made their own small coconut tree and found letters in magazines to spell their names.  I think they turned out adorable.


We've been loving the dry erase tables.  I can do small reading groups right on the table!  We've also integrated into our reward system.  I give points to tables for good behavior and I write it right on  the table.  The kids love it.  Also, with the odd shape of our room, my board has some blind spots.  I can write lists directly on the tables so each group can see to copy from the board (spelling lists, homework, etc...).  This has made a HUGE improvement in our class.



We've been hard at work all week, but I have to say that I think my favorite class this week was art.  We drew self portraits with Sharpie markers.  Then we placed squares of tissue paper over the drawings and wet them.  We left the tissue to dry so that the colors would bleed onto the paper.  When the tissue paper was dry, we removed it and this was the result.


I am obsessed with how cute they turned out.  I would hang them on my wall at home. 
  

Today we begin a new week.  It is not Labor Day here in Honduras...just another day of labor.  To all of you at home, enjoy your time off.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment